Eight fire engines and six water tankers were successful in putting out the massive fire that broke out at Cinevista studio situated in Kanjurmarg, east central Mumbai.
The fire started while two TV serials—Bepanah and Haasil—were being shot. The cast and crew of both the shows left the building and did not suffer any damage, as per reports.
The fire was huge spanning a wide area in the vicinity of the studio and people posted videos on Twitter showing the smoke going up into the night sky, which was visible from nearby areas with a few kilometers radius.
The fire department was called at 8.07pm and the engines arrived at the scene within twenty minutes of it.
Initial reports coming in cited a generator in the studio as the cause of the fire, which was put at level 3 requiring instant evacuation and allowing entry to only fire fighters.
The studio, which has more than 30 shooting locations, is spread over an area of five acres.
This is the second incidence in a gap of a few days, the first one involving a fatal fire in Mumbai’s Kamala Mills compound claiming the lives of 14 people, 11 of which were women with the majority of them less than 40 years in age. This one started at a restaurant and then quickly spread to nearby restaurants and offices putting a lot of people in danger.
The restaurant from where the fire initiated, Mojo’s Bistro, is facing legal action with one of the owners of the pub being arrested. The person in question happens to be Yug Pathak, the son of the chief of Pune Police Mr. K.K. Pathak. He was arrested yesterday along with two managers of the restaurant.
Fortunately, the fire at Cinevista did not involve any loss of life.